Learning Self Care by Breaking the Fear That Binds

I have been on a mission to lose 100 pounds. On the left is me now (in the flowered dress). Metaphorically, I'm shedding anxiety weight, too. Anxiety, fear and I go back a long way. Panic attacks have ruled my life and fight-or-flight characterized my behavior. The picture on the right is me with my anxiety-fat. Thanks to 12-step recovery groups like Al-Anon, I use past tense. I am learning to take care of myself so negative feelings don't control me. Here's how.

Cast out false fear. My old modus operandi was others-driven. I lived in constant fear of upsetting, angering, disappointing and failing. Fear consumed, overwhelmed and exhausted me. I got physically ill. Fear will always be my most challenging nemesis. Combating it means stepping way outside my comfort zone. But if I don't, the zone only gets smaller. Self-care means bearding my lions.  Living Al-Anon Slogans: Take Care of Yourself, Do What's Best for You

No comments:

Followers