Thoughts on Carpe Diem

You've heard the (sometimes annoying) saying "Carpe diem"--seize the day. It's a nice thought. Make the most of opportunities. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Sometimes, when I hear "carpe diem," I'm inspired to push on and achieve. Other times, I just want to say "go stuff an apple in it." I think what gets me is the idea that we've got to be ever-productive, ever-busy.

Maybe it's my age. Pushing 48, navigating mostly-blindly through menopause, a quarter of a century of marriage and 75 pounds to shed--it gets old. I didn't know it at the time, but everything was easier when I was younger. I could sleep four hours and still move mountains. Now I could sleep 12 hours and not be able to move the laundry from washer to dryer.

I'm not nearly as tolerant either. When I was young, my hard-headed Grandmother (yes, I capitalized her moniker--she was that kind of person) despaired of my bleeding heart. I felt sorry for everyone. She's be proud to know that I've little pity left. I'm learning that a lot of problems we bring on ourselves (raises hand). I still care, but I'm not so easily duped. Know I'm only sentimental and tender-hearted when I've been drinking Gram would especially love that.

So about Carpe Diem--I think the best way to seize the day is to let it come and do the best you can with what it doles out to you. It's like standing in three-foot Lake Michigan waves. You can do it, but you've got to bend and accept a lot of buffeting. You also fall down a lot. That's what I'm trying to adjust to--playing the hand life deals me. I still tilt at windmills and fight the system, but I chose my windmills MUCH more carefully.

I have a lot to be thankful for. God has indulged and spoiled me a lot more than I deserve. And good red wine still makes a great moisture barrier. It helps me weather those insurmountable waves.  Currently--petit syrah and malbec are my armor of choice.

Be well. Do good work.
Love, mar

No comments:

Followers